Register Your Dog
Beyond the fact that it is the law, there are benefits to you and your dog if you register.
- A portion of all money raised from registration fees is directed to Chicago Animal Care and Control.
- A dog’s registration tag will help you if your dog is lost. A quick call to 312-744-DOGS will get the City Clerk’s office involved in reuniting you with your dog.
- To board your dog or to use a doggy daycare service at a boarding facility you dog must be registered.
- To use the new Pottawatomie Park dog friendly area, or any other of Chicago dog parks, your dog must be registered.
Registering your dog can be done quickly and easily.
- It can be done online at www.chicityclerk.com
- It can be done by phone (312) 744-DOGS
- It can be done in person at the Clerk’s Main Office at City Hall, 121 N. LaSalle or at the Clerk’s Satellite office on the Northwest side, 5430 W. Gale. Both are open from 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday – Friday.
Cost to Register Your Dog
- Sterilized dog (neutered male, spayed female)…. $5
- Sterilized dog with a Chicago owner over age 65…. $2.50
- Unsterilized dog….$50
- Unsterilized dog with a Chicago owner over age 65….$5
- Replacement licenses are available at half the applicable fee, or a maximum of $20
Unsterilized dog fees are higher because thousands of dogs are euthanized annually or suffer as strays because of unwanted, unplanned litters that could have been prevented by spaying or neutering. One unspayed female and her offspring can produce 67,000 puppies in just six years. Also, sterilized dogs are healthier and have fewer medical problems. In addition, spaying and neutering can make pets less likely to run away or fight with other animals. Other pets, (cats, birds, snakes, etc.), are not subject to city licensing.
Requirements for Registering Your Dog
Dogs must have a current rabies vaccination. Your dog registration expires one year after the date of your dog’s rabies vaccination. Registrations are sold in 1 year or 3 year increments (to coincide with rabies vaccinations).
For more information please contact the City Clerk’s office at www.chicityclerk.com or call (312) 744-DOGS (3647)